Robyn made this gorgeous quilt and brought it to me for quilting. I loved the quilt and suggested feathers on it. We decided to crosshatch the print in the centre of the stars. The star points were quilted with continuous curves.
Isn’t it lovely?
I love how the quilt looks so old-fashioned but fresh as well. The batting was cotton so this quilt will have a lovely drape and soften nicely over time.
Here are some more detail shots and one below showing the beautiful border.
All of the quilting is freehand with no computer guided assistance at all.
Well, it had to alliterate, ok?
I have finished and bound my Gira Rosa quilt. It was designed by Michelle Marvig and published in Australian Patchwork and Quilting. I was lucky to grab a kit from Michelle so a)I didn’t have to think too hard to match my fabrics and b) mine looked like hers - which I loved.
Anyhow, here are the pictures.
On the grass – this shows the whole quilt – it is 60×60 inches.
Gratuitous shot over the chook pen. Please understand this is MY quilt and I would NEVER do this with a client quilt.
Flung over the clothesline for a better detail shot.
More detail. My quilting is indeed freehanded. Those feathers come out of my head, through my hands guiding the quilting machine and on to the quilt.
And showing the border. Look – the binding is on too. I machine bound this one – it is mine, mine, mine and to be used for snuggling under in winter.
I love my new quilt and as quick as the quilting seems to be, I started making this in, I think, 2009. Maybe even 2008.
At my latest quilt that I just finished. It’s for me!!! I bought the aqua fabric in June 2010 and finally cut and pieced it in March 2011 to demo some quilting techniques for the DVD I made for Quilters Companion Magazine. I have had it basted and attached to the zippers and shoved on the bookshelf since then.
I pulled it out the other day and started to quilt it. The feathers took me ages. I had to work out how to make them look like they were crossing over each other. I like the effect, but I won’t tell you where I kinda botched it!!!
I have overlocked the edges and I am now debating whether I should wash it before or after I bind it. I want it to shrink up a little….so maybe wash and block first.
Here is the finished quilt. You can’t see the quilting very well with my photos unfortunately. The colours are a lot brighter than they are in real life too.
You can see the quilting a little better in this shot. Each alternate feather frond is a curl. It matches the curl in each of the diamonds of the lone star.
This is Janette’s WIlliam Morris quilt. She has done the most beautiful appliqué. All by hand blanket stitch and every stitch was perfect.
It was a pleasure to quilt Janette’s quilt for her.
Here is a pretty and softly colour quilt that I quilted recently. June made it for her sister, who wanted a very soft looking quilt. There is a lot of work in the piecing of this quilt, which you can’t see right up because of the low contrast colours.
I really like this very pretty quilt and would not have minded keeping this one.
This is June’s Cherry Ripe quilt.
Isn’t it pretty?
I was lucky enough to quilt this Moonglow by Jinny Beyer quilt made by Sally. It is a beautiful quilt and in this photo, the sun hits it just so…
Look at all the different threads I used!
Pat’s perfectly pieced Mariners Compass quilt is finished.
Quilting – Custom Level C – We chose a feathered border and matching feather motif to go between the compasses. The compasses were stitched in the ditch to show the crisp piecing.
Thread – So Fine by Superior Thread – colours to match.
Batting – Matilda’s Own 60/40 Wool/Poly Blend
Comments - I love how the backing shows the quilting and I loved the colours of this quilt. The quilting is entirely hand guided. No computer assistance at all. Feathers are freehand.
Pat was very happy with her quilt and graciously allowed it to be shared.
Quilt is designed by Michelle Marvig.
This is the top border of a quilt I finished last week. I like to photograph the top corners for reference later on when I get to the bottom corners. As some quilts take quite a while to quilt, it refreshes my memory so that I make all corners the same. In this case I have used a deep spine feather on this border.
More finished photos soon.